When you are interested in fine jewelry, you may know how much it can cost. Upscale jewelry made from precious metals and stones can be extremely expensive, but there are many ways that you can get a good deal on the jewelry you want. For pieces like sterling silver drop earrings, there are many jewelers that have reasonable prices. Often, getting silver jewelry is a great way to save money on what you want. There are many affordable fine jewelry brands that offer reasonable prices on exquisite pieces. To find affordable gold jewelry online, you can often find good pieces through retailers that sell many brands.
You can often find affordable high end jewelry by going to places that you wouldn’t expect to buy jewelry from such as jewelers who sell through eBay or Amazon. They often have affordable quality rings that you can use for everything from a cocktail ring to an engagement ring. Jewelry doesn’t have to be from a famous designer in order to be fine jewelry. There are many unique pieces that are made by local jewelers and have great looks and materials. When you find a place that has affordable jewelry that you like, always remember where you shopped.
If you’re shopping for custom jewelry or personalized engraved jewelry, custom jewelers will usually ask you to pick out a metal. There are many metal types you can choose from, but let’s say that you go with gold.
Top jewelers won’t just sell gold custom jewelry: they’ll sell all kinds of gold, so it’s important to understand the various types of gold jewelry you can buy.
Gold purity is measured by karats. The higher the karat, the more pure the gold. On the low end is 10 karat jewelry with about 41.7% pure gold, and at the high end is 24 karat, which is usually 99.9% pure. Typically, a higher karat will cost you more, but it will also be softer and less durable.
This means that if you’re looking for gold engagement rings or gold wedding bands that will see a lot of use, it may be better to go with a lower karat to keep the gold from getting deformed.
You can also get several different types of gold in custom jewelry. Here are just a few types you might come across:
- Gold vermeil jewelry is actually sterling silver with gold plating. The best gold vermeil uses 24 karat gold, but it’s always a good idea to check the karat label with your jeweler before buying.
- Gold-filled jewelry is actually the opposite of what it sounds like. Gold is bonded to a base metal alloy like nickel or brass, so that the exterior is solid gold but the interior is something else.
- Gold-plated jewelry also uses a base metal, but that metal is electroplated with gold instead of bonded and then dipped in an electroplating solution to coat it thoroughly. The gold layer will usually wear off faster than it would on gold-filled jewelry because the layer of gold is so thin.
- White gold jewelry is gold combined with other white metals. These can be nickel, silver, platinum or zinc. White gold jewelry is usually durable and resists tarnishing. It’s also more cost-effective than platinum, but it can cause allergic reactions.
- Rose gold is similar to white gold, but copper is combined with gold instead. This usually gives the gold a reddish hue. Rose gold tends to gain a patina over time.
Work with your jeweler to choose the type of gold that best suits your wants and needs. Read more articles like this.